Is sex painful for you? Have you found yourself avoiding sex because you worry that it will hurt? Have you had any sexual intercourse that was not painful? Do you try to soldier through it, hoping that it will be over quickly?
Sex is not supposed to hurt. Period. If it is hurting, see your physician. These are some causes of painful sex:
- low estrogen from nursing or menopause
- lack of arousal
- taking too little time for warm-up and foreplay
- past sexual abuse
- lack of information or shame about the genitals
- fear of being injured internally from penetration
- past pelvic surgeries or procedures
The good news is that sex therapy can help you get past the pain.
It can move you from fear and dread of sex, to calm anticipation and enjoyment. It can transform the problem into intimacy and closeness with your partner.
If you’d like to take advantage of my 25 minute free phone consultation in order to determine if sex therapy is for you, give me a call.